Quarry Proprietors - Anglesey
Up in Anglesey
Slate mining on Anglesey was a very small concern. The quarry
at Trefarthen, Brynsiencyn, which was working in the eighteenth
century was part of the Faenol Estate, whilst the small quarries
on the parish boundary between Llangefni and Llangristiolus were
owned by the Williams-Bulkeley family of Baron Hill. They also
owned the small quarry at Llanfflewyn, see map below, and
This quarry was producing moss slates in 1864 and a new lease
was taken out in 1875 with permission to build an engine house,
stores, worker’s cottages, tramways, shafts, levels and adits.
The visions of prosperity were not realised though.
The North Anglesey Slate and Slab Quarry or (Chwarel Sglaetsh)
at Llaneilian commenced production in February 1870 under a
company set up by men from Yorkshire and Manchester. Despite the
glowing prospectus, the gleaming reports from various quarrying
authorities from Caernarfonshire, and the employment of John
Hughes from the Dinorwig Quarry, the great expectations were not
realised. The plan to create ‘Port Dinorben’ for the export of
slate had been shelved by 1872, and carts were used to carry the
slate to Porth Eilian.
In 1873 the 10 workers had discovered a lode of copper and
another level was planned. But interest in the company shares had
waned and the directors were decrying the fact that no suitable
land was available to build slate dressing sheds. Up to June
1,940 first grade slates, 480 second
grade slates, and 2,700 moss slates had been produced.